Wednesday, October 26, 2016

How Would You Describe Disassociation?

I have been trying to bring more awareness to disassociation as of late. I decided to ask around to my friends, family and others to tell me how they would describe their experience with it or what it's like. Each person who answered has experienced at some point disassociation, I ask that everyone respect those who have answered. 

"For me it's like I'm on auto pilot, I see what's going on around me, I have small conversations but I'm not really in control. It normally happens after some sort a trigger but I'm not sure what all of them are. I'll do homework, drive, eat, work, whatever I'm supposed to do and then suddenly realize I've no idea how I got any of it done." ~Courtney Heathfield

"Smells trigger memories for me. Beer smell brings me back and I relive those moments. I stare off into space and hear nothing around me. Certain people that look familiar trigger it also. I get panicked and sweaty. Sometimes anxiety attacks. Some programs on tv also trigger it and I feel sick and weepy."  ~Catherine M. Hodge

"I disassociate alot. Intense emotion is usually the trigger...either anger or fear or sadness. My ex-husband and my son trigger my anger and I "watch" as this other self, consumed by rage, acts out in ways my conscious self would never permit, if she were present. I "wake up" filled with remorse for things I've said and done. When I'm in sadness or fear of abandonment, I lose my ability to hear (things sound muffled like I'm underwater) or I can't remember what someone said to me or lots of time elapses without my awareness. I guess I would describe it as my true self becomes a witness in times of anger and goes into sleep mode in times of sadness. Sometimes in times of intense fear, the rager comes out demanding information in a panic-stricken frenzy. My real self watches in shock and waits for it to be over." ~Anonymous

"With my anxiety disorder, before and sometimes during anxiety and panic attacks, I "separate" as I call it, or "space out". Everything seems to slow down, rooms will get crisp looking or seem really small. I will hear nothing from anyone if they are speaking with me. When I do "come back" I usually continue with my attack until I feel grounded or safe... Worry free sort of speak. With my PTSD it is more of a feeling of not being good enough. Thoughts that things can't be real or I can't be real... This can't be happening.... That sort of thing. When the disassociation with my PTSD happens it is usually followed with getting depressed. Beating myself up because I don't feel normal or good. It causes a worthless feeling which in turn causes me to hermit. Not go out or talk to anyone. With my anxiety disorder, usually an attack will trigger the disassociation. Can happen before, during or even after an attack. Usually ends with an attack most of the time. Feeling grounded helps but not always. " ~Summer Cramer


I could not get any more people to describe their experiences, but these are the ones I could receive.****




****I may add on if anyone gives me more. All are welcome to participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment