Thursday, July 28, 2016

How Luna Lovegood Helped Me Accept Myself

 "You're just as sane as I am."

Luna Lovegood (JK Rowling)

 In my childhood, there were a few characters from books that helped me not only find myself but accept myself for who I am. One of them was Luna Lovegood from the Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling.

 As a child who was often the outcast and the target of many bullies, I identified with Luna. I loved that she accepted who she was and that, no matter what the bullies would do or say she'd keep her chin up and use it to teach others or as a learning experience for herself.
 She didn't care what anyone thought about her, she wouldn't change herself one bit just because others wanted her to. I was much like her, I had and still have my weird quirks. I was viewed as the weird child in school throughout my life and Luna embodied what I wanted so desperately to be. I felt like she was my best friend (I knew she was only a fictional character) but I felt like I understood her so much that I knew her personally. I would read and read and tell myself that one day I would accept who I am and become like Luna. 

 Well one day, the Seventh and final book of the series came out. As I read it I watched as Luna became stronger and a warrior in the battle. It helped me to realize that, I too, could be that warrior. I could accept myself and stop trying to run from who I am. So I started to be myself around other people, (I really do have the same personality as her, just more bubbly). I did lose some friends, but in the end I knew who was true to me. I decided that no one would EVER convince me to change who I was.

 I have Luna to thank for this. I don't think that if I hadn't read about her or watched her story grow, that I would be myself today. I think I probably would've allowed myself to change into what they wanted. She is such a unique character. I don't think I have ever read one that is much like this where she doesn't allow anyone to change her. She is weird, but in a good way. She knows it and OWNS IT! And that is one thing that I love about this character, not only does she accept it, she owns it! She owns who she is and she doesn't care who thinks she's weird or strange, she owns it all!

 
 Instead of allowing other people to dictate what she says and does, she just ignores it and goes about her life. In the end, she became someone who many could look up to as a character. I don't think that I was the only one who's life was changed by her. 

She is the embodiment of what who we should be. Girls are so often told that they must be a certain way, must act, do, look, be a certain person. She tells those like that to screw off. She is what every girl should be like: "I don't give a rat's butt what you say I should be, I am going to be who I am and do what I love and you can't change that. You will never change that." 

I see so many girls who look up to Hermione, but Luna is the one that many don't. I don't know why as Luna teaches girls to be themselves in a world that tells them differently. Don't get me wrong! I love Hermione, in fact she is one of the other characters that is on my list (and will do a post about at some time!) but I feel that Luna embodies what all of us Females should be like. Hermione is another but we aren't on the subject of her at the moment. 

I will end this post with this: You are just as sane as I am. Do not ever let anyone dictate who you are to be just because you think outside of the box. Love yourself and the world will send you your true friends. 

xoxo
Ari the Ant


****All pictures were found using google search engine, I do not own them.





No comments:

Post a Comment